1. Visit Greece.
2. Finish my master’s degree.
3. Get a job as a librarian.
4. Visit every brewery in WNC.
5. Attend a book signing.
1. What new year’s resolution could you make that you know would break in less than a week?
Exercise every day/diet strictly.
2. How many of the lyrics of “Auld Lang Syne” do you actually know?
3. How much should a babysitter be paid for working New Years Eve?
$20 an hour would be nice.
4. What are you most looking forward to in 2013?
Getting my master’s degree!
Bonus question for blog hoppers to answer:
5. What was the best book you read in 2012?
What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I rode a camel.
Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t remember if I even made any resolutions last year… So far I have vowed to visit Greece, finish my master’s degree, get a job as a librarian, visit every brewery in WNC, and attend a book signing in 2013.
Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, my friend Jinhee (just a few days after I left Korea!) and my stepsister Ruth.
Did anyone close to you die?
What countries did you visit?
I lived in Korea and visited the Philippines, Cambodia, Thailand, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Laos, Vietnam, China, Mongolia, Russia, Poland, Grand Cayman, and Mexico.
What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
A job as a librarian.
What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory?
July 17, the day my boyfriend and I broke up.
What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Traveling on the Trans-Mongolian Railway from Beijing to St. Petersburg.
What was your biggest failure?
Gaining weight instead of losing it.
Did you suffer illness or injury?
The worst was a very painful jellyfish sting in Vietnam!
What was the best thing you bought?
Well I didn’t buy it, but I received this awesome waterproof, dustproof, coldproof, shockproof, and crushproof camera!
Where did most of your money go?
What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Moving home to NC after two years in Korea.
What song will always remind you of 2012?
Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder? The same
Thinner or fatter? Fatter
Richer or poorer? Poorer
What do you wish you’d done more of?
Appreciating Korea while I lived there.
What do you wish you’d done less of?
How did you spend Christmas?
At home with my family, eating dinner and opening presents! I didn’t take any good group pics unfortunately, but here are all the “grandkids” (my nephew Carter and nieces Olivia and Klay).
Did you fall in love in 2012?
Who were your best friends?
Ohee in Korea and Cindy in NC.
What thing did you do that was meaningful to others?
Donated to several charities.
What was your favorite TV program?
The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Homeland, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, Game of Thrones, Justified, Girls, Cougar Town…
Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hmmmmmm I don’t think so.
What was the best book you read?
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.
What was your greatest musical discovery?
I’m not that into music.
What did you want and get?
Custom painted TOMS, a Kate Spade wallet, kittens…
What did you want and not get?
A job as a children’s librarian.
What was your favorite film of this year?
Magic Mike? LOL. Also Argo, The Hunger Games, Moonrise Kingdom, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Pitch Perfect.
What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 30… I made pottery, went swimming, went out to dinner, and had cake and drinks at my house!
What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
My year was pretty awesome but getting the job I wanted (children’s librarian) would have made it awesomer.
What kept you sane?
Reading, blogging, my friends and family.
Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I developed a huge crush on Tom Hardy. And Rebel Wilson became by role model. 🙂
What political issue stirred you the most?
I tried to avoid politics as usual.
Who did you miss?
Everyone in NC when I was in Korea and everyone in Korea now that I’m home!
Who was the best new person you met this year?
My nieces Olivia and Klay. 🙂
Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
It’s OK to move on and start over.
Quote that sums up your year:
“Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.”
I read 39 books in 2012! My goal is to read 50 in 2013. Check out my new book blog as I won’t be posting book reviews on this one anymore!
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
- American Born Chinese
- Anna and the French Kiss
- Beautiful Creatures
- Between the Lines
- The Book Thief
- The Chocolate War
- A Clash of Kings
- Crash Into Me
- The Dead and the Gone
- Fat Cat
- The Fault in Our Stars
- Fifty Shades of Grey
- The First Part Last
- A Game of Thrones
- Indian Killer
- Life as We Knew It
- Lone Wolf
- Marcelo in the Real World
- My Most Excellent Year
- The Night Circus
- Paper Towns
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- The Road
- The Snowman
- Stolen: A Letter to My Captor
- Thirteen Reasons Why
- Three Rivers Rising
- What Alice Forgot
- World War Z
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2012 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
4,329 films were submitted to the 2012 Cannes Film Festival. This blog had 33,000 views in 2012. If each view were a film, this blog would power 8 Film Festivals
1. What is the best New Year’s Eve you’ve ever had?
Probably when I was in New York City… 12 years ago!!
2. Are you doing anything for NYE this year and if so what?
Yes, going out to dinner and a bar with friends!
3. Name a book we should all read come January?
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.
4. What are your new year’s resolutions?
Travel, read, finish my master’s degree, get a job as a children’s librarian.
1) This week’s song is the tale of an accidental holiday encounter between former lovers. They sit in her car and spend hours catching up, then she gives him a chaste kiss and they never see one another again. Is there a past love who still has a special spot in your heart, despite the years or the miles since your relationship?
Yes, more than one actually…
2) This week’s song includes a play on the traditional Scottish song, “Auld Lang Syne.” Have you ever visited Scotland?
3) Mother Winters has long told Sam that if she has a glass of water for every glass of champagne she drinks on New Year’s Eve, she’ll feel better on New Year’s Day. Do you have a favorite hangover prevention tip or cure?
No, but it helps if you just stay in bed all day when you have a hangover. 🙂
4) Do you like champagne?
5) This year at midnight, Crazy Sam will kiss the nose of her puppy, Chico. Will you be kissing anyone when the clock strikes midnight on New Year’s Eve?
I doubt it but you never know!
6) The Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy was the runaway publishing phenomenon of 2012. It was so successful that the publisher, Random House, was able to give its employees massive bonuses this year. Have you read it?
Yes, it’s overrated.
7) Year-end is a time for newspapers, magazines, and websites to run lists. According to Askmen.com, Jennifer Lawrence of The Hunger Games is at the top of the year’s “Most Desirable Woman” list. People magazine has declared Channing Tatum “The Sexiest Man Alive 2012.” Do either of these two set your pulse racing? If not, who is your celebrity crush?
I love Channing Tatum and Jennifer Lawrence is awesome too!
8) Pasadena, California, is known for hosting the traditional Rose Parade. It begins at 8AM on January 1, so the people who watch it live must be there very early. Does the thought of getting up and dressed to sit in the California sun, bright and early on New Year’s morning appeal, to you?
9) Sometimes aches and pains that aren’t serious can still really hurt. For example, Sam just dropped a can of tomato paste on her foot and the little red mark it left is making her crazy! Are you suffering through a bump or bruise or cut right now?