On this day four years ago, I visited Washington DC! My friend Colin was doing an internship there and my other friend Tessa lived not that far away, so she and her boyfriend drove in and met us for the weekend. We stayed at a swanky hotel in Dupont Circle, went to a crazy burlesque/sideshow bar, and did all the touristy stuff as well… The White House, monuments, memorials, and museums!
1. Who is your favorite musical artist from when you were a teenager?
I can’t think of one favorite singer/band. Nelly is coming to mind though…
2. Who is your favorite game show host?
Alex Trebek from Jeopardy of course.
3. Who is your favorite blog hosting service?
Well I’ve only used WordPress, so I guess it’s my favorite. 🙂
4. If you could meet anyone again from your childhood, who would it be?
My friend Christian who died when we were in high school.
5. Where did you want to live when you were growing up?
In Miami where my mom was from. I thought it would have been much more exciting than the small town of Saluda, NC where I grew up.
6. What is the most interesting piece of trivia that you know?
Well I know about tarantulas since I’ve had one for over ten years… One of their defense mechanisms is to shoot hairs out of their abdomen that makes your skin itch for days. You can’t wash it off!!
7. If you could live in any point of history when would it be and why?
Late 60s/early 70s because it seems like an interesting and fun time period!
8. What is the most interesting job you have ever had?
I worked at a private investigation company for two years. It wasn’t that interesting because we investigated insurance fraud but there were some cool cases.
9. Please share one middle school memory. It can be good, bad, ugly, funny. Pictures or words, I don’t care, just share.
We went to Washington DC on our eighth grade trip.
10. What’s your favorite Beatles song?
It’s going to be my next tattoo as well…
11. If I asked you to describe your most comfortable outfit, what would it be?
My PJs that I’m wearing.
12. Would you rather host a party or be a guest?
Host… I love to plan parties!
13. Do you think we will move completely from traditional books to digital ones, and if we do, are you OK with that?
Eventually yes. I don’t have an e-reader or read e-books as of now but I guess I will have to one day!
14. Do you learn best by reading, listening, or experiencing?
I think everyone learns best by experiencing! I learn better by reading than listening though.
15. If you are (or when you were) single, what is the kiss of death for you concerning the opposite sex? (That is, what is one trait or behavior or habit or anything at all that immediately turns you off from considering that person a potential match for you?)
If they can’t spell or use proper grammar.
16. Snacks. Salty or sweet?
17. Look around you in a four foot radius. What object is around you that you didn’t realize was there or forgot was there? How long has it been there?
I dunno, there’s a lot of crap in my mom’s living room.
18. What is your favorite Tom Cruise movie?
Not a Tom Cruise fan! But I do love the movie Magnolia.
19. You buy a bottle of shampoo and discover that you don’t like what it does to your hair at all. What do you do with that full bottle?
I have never had that problem and doubt I ever will. I am not picky about my hair.
20. Your favorite spring comfort food?
1. This week marks the beginning of Lent… Will you be giving something up or adding anything to your life during this season of the year?
No, I don’t celebrate Lent but I am on a diet so I’ve already given up excessive eating. 🙂 And lost eight pounds in four weeks!
2. The day before Lent is Shrove Tuesday… Tradition states you eat pancakes on this day. In some parts of the world Shrove Tuesday is actually known as ‘pancake day’. How do you like your pancakes? Or don’t you?
I don’t care for breakfast food but I will occasionally eat pancakes. Chocolate chip or blueberry ones are good, or plain with a tiny bit of butter and syrup.
3. I’m sure there are many, but what’s one love song you really love?
I answered this question earlier this week…
4. What are some things you do to let others know you love them?
Tell them, do nice things for them, be nice to them, etc.
5. Roses… Red, pink, or do you prefer another color? Can you recall the last time someone gave you flowers? Given your choice would you like to open the door and see a dozen red roses, a dozen purple tulips, or a dozen pink peonies?
Roses certainly aren’t my favorite flower but I’d choose pink or white. Not sure when I last received flowers, maybe last Valentine’s Day… I would prefer to open the door and see pink peonies.
6. President’s Day will be celebrated in America next Monday. Does US Presidential history and trivia interest you? Many Presidential homes are open to the public and offer guided tours… Monticello (Jefferson’s home), Mount Vernon (Washington’s home), Montpelier (James Madison’s home), Hyde Park (FD Roosevelt’s home), and The White House (home to the sitting President) to name just a few. Of those listed which would you be most interested in touring? Why?
It doesn’t really interest me. I have toured The White House before and don’t really care to see any of the others.
7. Are you good at keeping secrets?
8. Insert your own random thought here.
My body is sooooooooooo sore from skiing yesterday.
1. I had a job interview on Monday. I haven’t heard back yet so I’m gonna assume I didn’t get it but I’m still holding out a little hope…
2. On Tuesday I took a road trip with my brother, sister-in-law, and their friend. We stopped in Concord on the way and had lunch at Olive Garden (I chose something from their “Lighter Italian Fare” menu… good job me), watched a commercial being filmed at Outdoor World, enjoyed some froyo, and played games at Dave & Buster’s. Then we continued on to Chapel Hill where we had dinner at Spanky’s before the Carolina vs. Wake Forest basketball game.
3. Wednesday I took a hike and Riley came with me. How sweet! She loved climbing on all the logs.
4. Wednesday was also my BFF Tessa’s birthday. She lives in Tampa so I couldn’t celebrate with her but I’m meeting her in Chicago in May. 🙂
5. Yesterday I got my student loan check in the mail, and bought my plane ticket to Greece! I will be spending September 21-30 in Athens, Santorini, and Mykonos. I booked an awesome place to stay in Athens yesterday too: City Circus Hostel.
As for the crappies this week…
I’ve been pretty depressed. Being on a budget and a diet means I am basically not leaving my house. I’ve been feeling really antisocial anyway so the plans I’ve had I’ve cancelled. I feel like I’m never going to find a job in a library and I’m wasting $50,000 on my master’s degree… Pity party for me!
What’s the best school field trip you ever went on as a kid?
Well, first I was going to say going to Cherokee in 4th grade. I really enjoy learning about that part of North Carolina history. But, I have a few photos to share from my 8th grade class trip to Washington DC. That trip was pretty awesome as well. We also saw My Fair Lady at a dinner theater and visited Gettysburg and Philadelphia.